Office of Financial Assistance

Financial Aid and Financial Assistance

Questions and Answers

For questions not answered here, please contact the Office of Financial Assistance at (508) 793-7478 or

What is federal work-study (FWS)?
Federal work-study is designed to assist students in meeting educational expenses and supplement classroom activities with work experience. The Office of Financial Assistance awards, based on financial need, as many participants as allowed by limited funding.
I've received Federal Work-Study (FWS) as part of my award. Am I assigned a job or do I apply for one?
Students are not assigned jobs. It is your responsibility to research, apply for, and follow up regarding jobs that interest you. All student employment opportunities are posted through the Clark Recruiter database.
If I was not awarded federal work-study, can I still work on campus?
Yes. All Clark undergraduate students are eligible to apply for jobs. Students seeking Community Service positions are paid out of the FWS budget, therefore, you will need to be awarded Federal Work-study.  Check with our office if you are interested in a Community Service Job and do not have a FWS award.
What paperwork is due before I can begin working?
Students who have not previously worked on campus need to complete the following items:
Students who have previously worked on campus must complete the following item:
• Undergraduate Student Employee Hire Form
All students who choose to be exempt from federal and/or state taxes will need to complete new W-4 and M-4 forms annually.
No student can be paid until all forms are complete and correct.
What forms of identification do I need for the I-9 form?
The United States Department of Homeland Security requires that all employees, both citizens and non-citizens, complete the I-9 form at the time of hire. This form confirms your identity and your eligibility to work in the U.S.. The students should complete Section 1 of this form and bring it to the Office of Financial Assistance with either one orginal document from List A or two orginal documents from List B.

List A

  • U.S. Passport
  • Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt
  • Employment Authorization document that contains and photograph (Form I-766)
  • Foreign Passport with form I-94
  • Passport from the FSM or RMI with I-94


List B

One from this list:

  • Driver's License
  • Photo ID issued by government agency
  • University Photo Student ID
  • Voter's Registration Card
  • U.S. Military Card or Draft Record
  • Military dependent's ID card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card


One from this list:

  • U.S. Social Security Card
  • Original or Certified copy of U.S. birth certificate
  • Certification of birth abroad
  • Native American tribal document
  • U.S. Citizen ID card
How much will I be paid at my on-campus job?
As of January 1, 2017, all Undergraduate student employees are paid at the Massachusetts minimum wage rate, currently$11.00 an hour.
How do I report the hours I worked in order to be paid?
1. Once the student has completed all necessary paperwork and is established on the payroll system, both supervisor/ approver will be able to begin the Web Time Entry Process (WTE). Your approver will provide you with training to use WTE payroll system.
2. Students are required to complete their electronic timesheet for each bi-weekly pay period and submit it for approval. The approver will approve the hours worked and submit the approved timesheet electronically to the Payroll Office for processing. Students should submit their electronic timesheet to their approver no later than Monday at 10:00 am to give the approver the necessary time to review with hours worked by the student, approve the timesheet and submit it to payroll for processing. Approvers must have timesheets approved and submitted no later than Monday at noontime. Delays in submission to wWTE result in delays in receiving earnings.
3. All timesheets submitted must be approved by either the student's approver, or the person who has been designated as a proxy for that approver. There is no option for a manual time sheet to be submitted by either the student or the approver.
When are timesheets due?
Below is a chart indicating the pay period in the first column, the date your timesheet is due in the second column, and the date your paycheck will be issued in the third column.
Payroll Schedule for Academic Year 2017-2018:

From – To




























































Please submit timesheets for approval before leaving for winter break.
Your electronic timesheets must be submitted to approvers by 10:00 a.m. on scheduled dates and approvers must submit approved timesheets to payroll by noon on those dates. Late timesheets will not be paid until the following payroll.
Last work day for Seniors is May 1, 2018. All other undergraduates can work through commencement, May 20, 2018.
Can I have my paycheck deposited directly into my bank account?
Direct Deposit is a condition of employment for all student employees. The direct deposit form must be completed and returned to the Office of Financial Assistance. You must submit a completed Direct Deposit Form before you can be set up in the payroll system. If the student has already had direct deposit at Clark, there is no need to complete another form unless there is a change in bank, account number, deposit amounts, etc.
Is there a limit to how much I can work?
While classes are in session, students are encouraged to work no more than 25 hours a week. During vacation periods of one week or more, students may be allowed to work additional hours. International students are not able to work more than 25 hours a week at any time.
Do I have to have a Social Security Number to work?
Yes, all working students (domestic and international) must have a valid Social Security number. If you do not have a Social Security number, you must apply for one with the Social Security Administration.
Do I get a W-2 form at the end of the year from Clark?
Clark University provides each student with a W-2 form listing all taxable earnings paid to the student, as required by the IRS. The form is available online under the employment tab of your CUWeb account by the end of January and it will reflect the student's earnings for the preceding year.
Do I have to pay taxes on my FWS earnings?
Work-study earnings are subject to all federal and state taxes. In addition to federal and state taxes, any wages earned from work performed when classes are not in session (including summer) are subject to the Social Security tax deduction.
Can I be exempt from federal and state taxes?
Some students are eligible for an exemption from taxes. For details, please visit the Office of Financial Assistance
Can I be terminated from my student employment job?
Yes. Just like any other job, you are expected to perform your job duties to the best of your ability.
If a problem arises, your supervisor should attempt to resolve the issue by speaking with you. If the problem continues, your supervisor should warn you in writing at least once. If the problem persists, your supervisor should provide advance notice of termination and the reason(s) to you in writing, with a copy to the Office of Financial Assistance.
Reasons for termination could be, but are not limited to: violation of confidentiality, dishonesty (including falsifying timesheets), poor work performance, habitual tardiness or absences. If you are terminated from a work study position, it is unlikely that you will be allowed to work another work study job for the remainder of the academic year.
I'm an undergraduate international student. Can I work on campus?
Undergraduate international students are eligible to utilize the Clark Recruiter and apply for the majority of job postings. However, since there may be certain restrictions regarding employment in the United States, international students must first speak to the Office of International Students and Scholars at 508-793-7362 to determine if they are eligible to work.
I'd like to work in the community. Can I use my FWS award?
In order to create a culture of service, improve the quality of life for community residents, and create a community that addresses its needs together while providing work-learning experiences for students, we are pleased to offer a limited number of community service work-study positions for interested students. Clark University, through the University Park Partnership, has made a strong commitment to involvement in its local community, and in doing so, has created a number of exciting and interesting work-study positions for students.
How will participating in a Study Abroad Program affect my work study?
Students cannot use their Federal Work-Study Funds while studying abroad. If you were awarded federal work-study and are spending a semester abroad, your work-study award for that period of time, is not applicable.