Office of Financial Assistance

Financial Aid and Financial Assistance

Applying for Financial Aid


You must be accepted into a degree program and enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for aid. At Clark, half-time student status is at least two units per semester. Your eligibility for aid can change if your enrollment status changes.  All changes to your enrollment status after you have received your award letter should be reported to the Office of Financial Assistance.

Clark University does not offer financial assistance directly to international students. International students may apply for a credit-based education loan. However, a U.S. citizen is required to co-sign the loan.  Please refer to detailed information in the Financing Options section.

Application Process

Students may apply for financial assistance at any point before or during the academic year. Do not wait until classes begin to apply, because the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) may take several weeks to process the results to Clark University. Once all required forms are received, you will be mailed an award notification notifying you of your eligibility for financial aid. Please note that if you wait until after the priority deadlines, it is unlikely that you will have a loan approved in time for the beginning of classes.

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

This form is required of all graduate students applying for the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan and/or the Direct PLUS (GradPLUS) Loan. The FAFSA is available online after January 1. Clark University’s federal school code is 002139; be sure to include this number on the FAFSA to ensure that we receive the results.

When you are completing the FAFSA online you will need a pin number to sign the FAFSA electronically; if you have never applied for aid before or if you do not have your pin number from a previous year you may request a FAFSA pin to be emailed to you. For more information about the FAFSA and the application process, you should view the Guide to Completing the FAFSA.

Complete Clark Application for Financial Aid

This form is required for all graduate students applying for financial assistance. The Clark Application for Financial Aid is available online.

Additional Forms

The Office of Financial Assistance may request copies of you and/or your spouse's most recent tax returns and W2, an official IRS transcript or various other types of information to complete your application for aid, finalize an offer of assistance or disburse aid to your student account. These requests will be made in writing to the student. Students should not submit this information unless requested by the Office of Financial Assistance.

Mailing of Financial Aid Awards

Financial aid award mailings will begin approximately one month after the deadline date for each period of enrollment. During periods of non-enrollment the first award notification of the academic year is mailed to the student's address on record. During periods of enrollment awards are mailed to the student's Clark mailbox or academic department. Students will receive a School of Professional Studies and Graduate Student Federal Direct Stafford Loan Processing Form with their award letters. Students must complete and send this form back to the Office of Financial Assistance to continue to the next step in loan processing. This form is also required for students declining an aid award.  All revised award notifications are sent to the student via Clark email.