Computer & Password Security
Password Change Utility
As you probably know, Clark requires that you change your password at least once a year. Password changes can be very frustrating (even us IT folks think so), but from a security standpoint are important. Because we store passwords for so many things-- like logging in, accessing email, connecting to the VPN and wireless-- it is not uncommon to experience issues logging in to services for a day or two following a password change.
The most important part of password security is keeping your password private. Do not give your Clark Account credentials to others and do not login with your credentials and let others use your resources.
Mac Users, on Clark managed Macs--Follow the instructions linked below
|If you use a Mac as your primary Clark computer, these instructions to change your password.|
All Other Users--Change your Clark Account Password Online
|Click here to change your Clark password.|
Follow these tips for the least frustrating experience when you change your password:
- Think about the services you access at Clark and the devices you access them from before you change your password. Your password will probably need to be updated on each of those devices. For example, we check our email on our Clark computers, personal laptops, iPads and cell phones. When we changed our password recently we needed to update all of the email programs on each device.
- Whenever possible, change your password on campus, with a wired connection.
- If you have to change your password from off-campus, connect to the VPN first. Information about connecting to the VPN is available at http://www2.clarku.edu/offices/its/vpn/.
- Depending on how you change your password, you may end up in a situation where you have to supply your old password for some things and new one for others. This should resolve once you return to campus. If not, please contact the Help Desk.
- Remember to be patient while new muscle memory gets created. We all have the experience of typing our new passwords slowly as our fingers “learn” the new key sequence.
- If you get locked out of your account, don’t despair. Accounts automatically unlock after two hours (assuming wrong passwords haven’t been tried again) or if we are available at the Help Desk, we can unlock them right away for you.