Academic Advising

student looking at chalkboard

Policies and Procedures

This page details the Policies and Procedures of Student Accessibility Services (SAS). below is a statement about how the policies and procedures relate to the law and then below that are links to some specific policies and procedures. If you have a question about any of the policies that are either posted here or not, please contact the office.

Rights and Responsibilities

Clark University follows the provisions under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. These civil rights laws maintain that no qualified individual with disabilities shall, solely on the basis of their disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied benefits of, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity in higher education.

IDEA only applies to K-12 students. Previous accommodations provided under IDEA may not be considered reasonable accommodations under Section 504 and the ADA. Importantly, 504 plans and individualized educational plans (IEPs) from high school do not carry over into higher education. Also, 504 plans and IEP documenttion are usually not considered sufficient disability documentation in the accommodation request process.

Academic Accommodations

Academic Accommodations like extended time on tests and alternate format text are not automatically put in place after approval. Each semester a student approved for academic accommodations wants access to them they need to fill out an Academic Accommodation Consent Form. Doing so requests your accommodations for any given semester and also requests that SAS sends to your professors an Accommodation Letter that details what your accommodations are.

It is vital that at the start of every semester a student also introduces themselves to their professors, espeically to professors where in their class you'll be using academic accommodations. You should tell them a bit about you as a student, including your academic strengths and challenges. You might also want to tell them a little on how your disability impacts you in the classroom. Doing so can form a connection with your professor and make that class all the better! If you need help in this area of self-advocacy, please contact the SAS office.

Housing Accommodations

Housing Accommodations like medical single and rooms on the first floor are not automatically put in place after approval. Each year a student approved for housing accommodations wants access to them they need to fill out a Residential Life and Housing Accommodation Consent Form. Doing so requests your housing accommodations for any given acadmeic year and gives SAs permission to reach out to RLH reagrding your approved accommodations.

Downloadable Policies and Procedures

Policies for Academic Accommodations

Test Relocation Policy and Procedure

Audio Recording Policy and Agreement

Computer Notetaking Policy and Agreement

Policies for Residential Life and Housing Accommodations

Emotional Support Animal Policy and Procedure

Air Conditioning Policy and Procedure

Other Policies

Service Animal Policy and Procedure