N.B.: Education is not offered as a major in the state of Massachusetts. It is offered as a minor at Clark University.

Q: What courses absolutely must be taken during the first year (or the first semester)?
"Complexities of Urban Schooling" is a required course which we advise students to take in their second semester or second year at Clark.
Q: Does your department recommend that FY students explore the PLS during their first year? Or, should FY students focus more on fulfilling prerequisites for the minor?
We generally advise students to concentrate on PLS courses in the first year or two.
Q: If FY students have specific questions about your department, whom should they contact?
Students generally contact Andrea Allen in their first for an orientation about the programs and the requirements for teacher licensure.
Q: What courses in related departments do your minors usually take?
Students interested in becoming a middle school or secondary teacher should major in their content areas (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, English, Math, Spanish, History, or Studio Art).
Students interested in becoming an elementary school teacher need to complete a liberal arts major and are required to complete "Concepts in Elementary Math 1&2" prior to their senior year.


Revised: 3/2017