Sustainable Clark

Universal Waste Policy

Clark University conforms to federal and state regulations (US EPA, US DOT, Ma. DEP) regarding the storage and transport of Universal Waste. Clark University also conforms to federal and state standards to manage clean up of Universal Waste spills and breakage. Universal Waste includes mercury-containing fluorescent light bulbs (also called lamps), ballasts, other mercury-containing devices such as thermostats, batteries and some pesticides. Fluorescent bulbs include the tubes common in overhead lighting as well as compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL's). Please note that the volume of mercury in a single lamp is not of a sufficient quantity to be immediately harmful, however we ask that you help Clark conform to regulations.

To replace a burned-out fluorescent lamp or clean up a breakage, please call Physical Plant, ext.7566. Our custodians and electricians are trained in the correct procedures. Old and broken bulbs will be safely stored in an appropriate container in a designated Universal Waste Accumulation area and safely transported to the Central Universal Waste Accumulation area located at Clark's Recycling Center.

To replace a burned-out battery in Clark-owned equipment (for example a smoke detector), please call Physical Plant,  ext.7566. Batteries of all types from non-Clark owned equipment can be placed in the blue battery collection barrels located in the Academic Commons and the University Center. Batteries will be safely transported to the Central Universal Waste Accumulation area and sorted by type into appropriate containers.

Clark University responsibly recycles all Universal Waste with certified, federally-approved service providers.

Information on other hazardous waste processing at Clark University.