International students face additional challenges including:
- Work restrictions for non-American citizens
- Lack of established networks in America
- Cultural differences and/or language barriers
- Differences in job search strategy and style
- Difficulties of long distance research/job search
Career Development Process
The career development process remains the same:
- Self assessment - analyzing your skills, interests and values and how they correlate with the world of work options.
- Exploration/Research (For international students, this also includes researching Employment Regulations!)
- Practice/Experience - gaining hands-on experience through campus employment or internships can help you focus and set goals while at the same time increasing your networks vital for employment.
- Decision making - identifying the steps necessary to reach your short term and long term goals is important!
The Job Search Process
- Development of Resume, Cover letter, References & Portfolio
- Mock Interviews
- Informational Interviews/Networking
- Tracking and Following up your Process
- Staying Motivated & Obtaining Support