Visual and Performing Arts Safety
The following information is provided to all Visual and Performing Arts faculty, administrative staff, and students to provide a safe working environment:
Know your materials
- Review Material Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for compatibilities, hazards, and routes of entry prior to material usage.
- Obtain an SDS from your supervisor or from the Chemical Safety Officer, Frank Abell, (x7280).
Know the Process
- Know your tools.
- Know process chemistries either from your instructor or from a written process.
Prepare for emergencies
- Know emergency phone numbers (x7575) (University Police).
- Know location of emergency eyewash and shower.
- Know power disconnects.
- Do not block emergency equipment or emergency egress.
- Know where your emergency equipment is located (first aid kits, fire extinguishers).
Wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Obtain PPE from the Chemical Safety Officer (x7280).
- Use ventilation when required.
- Use air handling equipment when required.
- Manage containers properly (Use proper labeling, Store incompatibles away from each other, Do not store hazards above eye level of shortest person).
- Do not eat or drink while working.
- Practice ergonomic principles.
- Do not work alone.
Clean up and wash up
- Do not wash with solvents.
- Dispose of hazardous wastes properly.
Disposal of Waste
- Store photographic waste in 55 gallon drums provided and store solvent/oily rags in yellow Hazardous Waste Bags.
- Notify the Chemical Safety Officer, Frank Abell, (x7280) when Hazardous Waste needs removal.