The person generating the waste is ultimately responsible for the waste he or she produces. Below are general policies regarding hazardous waste accumulation and management:
Satellite Accumulation Area (SAA)
Every area where chemical waste is produced and accumulated until the waste containers are full is called a Satellite Accumulation Area (SAA). Here are the rules to be followed for its management:
- Waste being generated elsewhere should not be kept in this area.
- If the area accumulates acutely hazardous waste, one quart is the maximum amount allowed to be accumulated. If not acutely hazardous, 55 gallons of waste is the limit.
- The SAA must be located in a dry and cool location away from direct sunlight.
- The SAA must have a sign with the words "Hazardous Waste Satellite Accumulation Area."
- Waste must be kept inside a dishwashing pan, basin or tub to prevent spills.
- Waste must be segregated from incompatible chemicals.
- Use only one container per waste stream.
- The container must be compatible with the waste inside and free from cracks, leaks, corrosion or any sign of degradation.
- The container must be clean on the outside.
- Never overfill a waste container. A container filled to 80% of its capacity is considered full.
- Recycled containers must have the original label defaced to avoid confusion regarding contents.
- The container holding hazardous waste must be closed with a screw cap at ALL TIMES except when waste is being added.
Note: Disposal cost is based on waste type and container size, not amount of waste. Please choose a container that fits the quantity or volume and, when possible, combine compatible waste.
- Give FULL NAME of contents, no abbreviations, codes, or omission of any of the information on the label is allowed.
- The container holding the hazardous waste must be marked with the words "Hazardous Waste", and must list components and their percentages(Must equal 100%). Also, check the type of hazard (Ignitable, corrosive, reactive or toxic).
- Date container once it is full.
What to do with a full container of waste
A full container of waste must be brought to the Main Accumulation Area (MAA) within 72 hours. Once your container is 80% full, bring it to the chemical stockroom (Room S-310). If your SAA is not in the Science area use this online form to request a pickup.