Office of Study Abroad and Study Away Programs

When should I Study Abroad?

It is important for you to know that you cannot study abroad until you've declared a major, the only exception being with our Luxembourg May Term program. Most students study abroad during their junior year. Second semester sophomores, however, may attend the TANDEM I Program in Madrid if they've completed three semesters of college-level Spanish or the equivalent. A few students wait until their senior year, a decision which can, however, create problems since most programs abroad end well after Clark's spring semester. This makes it unlikely that these seniors will be able to participate in graduation ceremonies with their class. We do not encourage students to study abroad during their senior year. Please note that Clark University has a residency requirement during the senior year. This means that you are not able to study on a non-Clark program offered through another institution during your senior year.

Most of our programs require students to have at least junior standing before going abroad, and there are good reasons for that. By the junior year, you should have fulfilled most of your perspective requirements, decided upon and begun serious work in your major, and fulfilled the foreign language prerequisites needed for programs whose language of instruction is not English. These conditions form a solid basis for you to explore and learn from other academic and cultural experiences.

Again, the exception is the 28-day Luxembourg May Term program, which encourages even first-year students to participate.