Office of Study Abroad and Study Away Programs


Clark University requires that prior to your departure for your study abroad program, you must:

  • be a full-time student at Clark for at least one year before attending a study abroad program.
  • be in good academic standing; you may not be on academic probation at the time of application, or thereafter
  • have a minimum GPA of 3.0 at the time of application
  • be in good standing in the Clark community; you may not be on disciplinary probation at the time of application and thereafter
  • declare a major; this is required in order to assess if you will be able to meet all requirements needed to graduate on time
  • have a passport which is valid for at least 6 months beyond your intended date of return, or be in the process of applying for one

Final approval of all applications is made by the program overseas; Applications may be rejected for any number of reasons, including space availability.

Senior residency requirement and study abroad

Students in their final two, full-time semesters at Clark may study abroad on a Clark-affiliated program ONLY.  Please note that Clark does not generally recommend studying abroad during the second semester of senior year as grades may not come in time for students to walk at commencement.

Important notes

  • Some Clark-affiliated study abroad programs require a higher GPA than 3.0.
  • International students who plan to study in their home country are not considered to be studying abroad. Transfer credit must be applied for and approved by Academic Advising.
  • Clark University does not currently support studying in a country which is listed on the U.S. Department of State's Travel Warning List at the time of or before your departure. Stay alert to any Public Announcements which are published by the U.S. State Department to warn U.S. Americans traveling abroad.
  • Non-Clark Affiliated Programs: We understand that the final decision regarding participation in a study abroad program is yours to make. Students who want to study on a non-Clark affiliated program, including those which may be listed on the U.S. State Department Travel Warning List, may do so by taking an approved Foreign Leave of Absence. Please be advised that transfer credit must be applied for and pre-approved by the Study Abroad Office, and Clark financial aid cannot be applied to these programs. Credit is not awarded retroactively. Please note that taking a leave of absence and applying transfer credit to your degree may affect your participation in the Accelerated Master's Degree program. Please see the Graduate Admissions website for details.