Office of Study Abroad and Study Away Programs


Most programs, though not all, require a visa to enter the country. A visa is like an entry ticket. Visas vary in format. Some visas are issued at the point of entry; some are issued electronically; others require you to send your passport to a US-based consulate to have a physical stamp placed in your passport. The host program generally sends instructions about obtaining a visa after the student is admitted to the program. Still, it is the student's responsibility to contact the Consulate/Embassy of their intended host country and submit the application for the required visa. Although we are willing to assist you, please note that the Study Abroad office has no influence on foreign consulates/embassies and their requirements or time tables for obtaining a visa.

A few countries require students to have residency permits. The host program will generally advise you on this process and will assist you with obtaining a permit once you arrive on campus.

Please note that when you travel outside the host country you may need additional visas. Check carefully to understand the rules and regulations of each country you visit, as well as how you will re-enter your host country.