School of Professional Studies

Students learning English as a second language at Clark University

Intensive ESL for International Students

Students living outside the United States who want to come to the United States for the purpose of studying English must enter the United States on a student visa (F1). Students on F1 visas are required to enroll as full-time students in order to maintain their visa status. As a result, they have 18 or more hours per week of intensive ESL instruction at up to 6 levels of proficiency. For program information, please refer to the American Language and Culture Institute page.

Joining ALCI's Intensive ESL Program for International Students

International students must complete and submit an ALCI application form [PDF].

In addition, they must submit

  • A non-refundable application fee ($50.) and deposit ($500 if on campus-housing is requested, $200 if on-campus housing is not requested)
  • Proof of high school completion (a copy of a high school diploma or university degree)
  • A copy of their passport photo and information pages
  • A letter of financial guarantee (usually from a bank on bank letterhead) showing, in terms of a specific amount of money, that the student (or student's sponsor) has enough money to cover the costs of the student's education and living expenses while the student is in the United States.

Send the completed application, fee and deposit ($250. or $550. depending on the housing option), and all required documents at the same time. ALCI cannot accept incomplete applications.

Housing Information for International Students

Most ALCI students choose to live with roommates in off-campus apartments near the University, but there is limited space available available in residence halls or University-owned houses on campus. As a result, rooms on campus are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Students requesting on-campus housing should be sure to indicate that request on the application form, submit the required housing deposit and apply early. Additionally, housing on campus cannot be guaranteed to students whose applications and deposits arrive after the published deadlines.

November 1 for the Spring Semester (January--April)
April 15 for Summer Session 1 (May--July)
May 15 for Summer Session 2 (July--August)
June 1 for Fall Semester (August--December)

Tuition and Fees (2016/2017)
Semester Programs (Fall 2016 and Spring 2017)
Program Costs/Semester: $6,605.
Living Expenses/Semester (estimate): (including insurance of $1,679) $5,954.
TOTAL COSTS/Semester: $12,559

Summer Sessions--Summer 2016
Program Costs/Session: $3,070
Living Expenses/Session: (includes insurance of $250.) $1,450.

TOTAL COSTS/Session: $4,520.

Programs costs include a one-time application fee, tuition, activities fee, materials, and an estimated cost of books. The living expenses above (housing, meals, health insurance) are only estimates and subject to wide variation, depending on the student's lifestyle. Students are not required to pay these amounts. For example, the student might live with someone (a relative or friend) in the United Sates who provides housing and meals. Regardless, the students must still prove to the government the ability to pay for these living expenses in order to get a visa.

Total Costs and the Letter of Financial Guarantee (LFG)

An LFC is usually a letter from a bank showing that you (or your sponsor) have sufficient funds to pay all of your education and living costs while you are in the United States. The amount of money shown on the LFG must be more than enough to cover all of these expenses in order for the University to issue you a Form I-20 (student visa application). Use the following guide to determine the minimum amount your letter must show.

You want to study:Your letter must show at least:
1 summer session $4,600
2 summer sessions $9,200
1 semester $12,600
1 semester and 1 summer session $17,200
1 semester and 2 summer sessions $21,800
1 academic year (fall and spring semesters) $25,200
1 calendar year (2 semesters and 2 summer sessions) $34,400

Please keep in mind:

  • The more money you can show on your LFG the better
  • The LFG must show a specific amount of money available to cover these expenses. The U.S. Government doesn't care if the bank thinks you have enough money--the government wants proof that you have enough money
  • The letter of financial guarantee can be in your name, your parent's name, or the name of a sponsor. If the letter is not in your name, we need to know the sponsor's relationship to you (e.g. father, mother, relative, family friends, employer, etc.)
  • The LFG should have been issued within 6 months of the application date.
  • The living expense costs listed above are estimates. You are not required to pay these amounts. For example, you might live with someone in the United States who provides housing and your meals, meaning that these will actually cost you nothing. You still must prove to the government that you can afford to pay for these living expenses in order to get a VISA.