Purpose of the Mathematics Placement Test
The Mathematics Placement Test is an independent assessment of students' quantitative ability. Analytical, computational and technological skills have become increasingly important in many disciplines and professional careers. We therefore encourage students to improve and further develop those skills, independent of their intended majors, by taking courses in Mathematics and Computer Science starting in their first year.
Who should take the Mathematics Placement Test?
- Students who wish to obtain an independent assessment of their quantitative ability
- Students who are ready to register for an introductory course in Mathematics (Math 119, Math 120, Math 121, Math 124, or Math 125); a successful completion of the placement test is a prerequisite for registration for those courses
The only students who are allowed to enroll in introductory Mathematics courses without taking the placement test are those who already have AP credit for Calculus.
Students with advanced placement who feel that they are prepared to start their math sequence beyond Calculus I and II should consult with the Math Department.
Students who place into Calculus or have AP credit for Calculus have the necessary quantitative background to excel in computational science and information technology which have become important parts of many disciplines. Those students are strongly encouraged to enroll in CSci 120 (Introduction to Computing), in order to develop their computational skill.
When and how does a student take the Mathematics Placement Test?
Students can take the online Mathematics Placement Test anytime. It is strongly recommended that first-year students take it before registering for classes. The placement test and additional information about it are located on Moodle.
- Log into Moodle with your username and password
- Under Current Courses click on Math Placement
- On the left, under Activities, click on Quizzes
- Both parts of the test are there
What are the possible outcomes for students taking the Mathematics Placement Test?
Depending on the achieved score, students who pass the placement test will be able to register for one of the following courses:
- Math 119 offered in each semester
- Math 120/121, 120 fall, 121 spring
- Math 124/125 124 fall, 125 spring
Students who are not satisfied with their placement can repeat the test once.