Health Services

FAQ for Clark University Health Service

What is the Clark University Health Service and how does it work?
The Clark University Health Service is a contracted service through UMass Memorial Medical Group. It is a primary care outpatient clinic offering a variety of services and programs including:

  • Diagnosis and treatment of acute and sub-acute episodic illnesses and injuries
  • Ongoing and follow-up care of pre-existing chronic conditions such as diabetes, asthma, colitis, etc.
  • Diagnostic laboratory testing
  • Contraceptive counseling and gynecological services
  • Sexually transmitted disease (STD) health education
  • Immunization to prevent diseases
  • Sports medicine
  • Stress reduction
  • HIV/AIDS education
  • Eating disorders and nutrition counseling
  • Smoking cessation

The Health Service is located at 501 Park Avenue and is open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. There are no services during the summer or school vacations. ( View a campus map )

Clinical Services are provided by nurse practitioners, physicians, nursing and support staff. Physicians affiliated with the major teaching hospitals in the Worcester area are present in the Health Service every day.

Where can I find more information regarding specific services provided at Health Services?
Should you have any questions or concerns regarding services which are not listed on our website, please call Health Services at 508-793-7467.

What are nurse practitioners?
Nurse practitioners are registered nurses with advanced education and clinical education. They are authorized to diagnose and treat many health problems and may also prescribe medications.

How do I make an appointment?
To make an appointment with either a nurse practitioner or a physician, call  508-793-7467. If it's not an emergency, you can usually schedule an appointment within 24 hours. We also request that you call us to cancel if you are unable to keep the appointment.

What if I'm depressed?
Emotional, physical and academic problems are sometimes difficult to sort out. A good place to start is with the Health Service, the Dean of Students or Campus Counseling . Anyone in this network can provide assistance or refer you to an appropriate counselor.

What happens if I get sick with something like "mono"?
Naturally, if you require hospitalization, the Health Service will make the arrangements. However, most students with an acute illness like mononucleosis (a prolonged viral illness often accompanied by fatigue and sore throat) are able to stay in the residence hall.  We will also arrange for you to be seen for a follow-up visit at the clinic if needed. Most students with mononucleosis, for instance, are seen at the Health Service on a weekly basis, even though they may be attending classes.

Does the Health Service provide information on sexuality and sexual health care?
Yes. Sexual health care information and education regarding sexuality issues, contraception and STDs are available. This includes screening for cervical, breast and testicular cancer. The Health Service also provides diagnosis and treatment of common gynecological problems, genito-urinary disorders and STDs. Routine gynecological exams are scheduled during specifically designated times, but a student with an acute gynecological problem, like vaginitis, can make an appointment anytime.

What about contraception?
The Health Service provides professional advice and counseling to both men and women about various contraceptive methods and their associated benefits and risks. Women may arrange for a gynecological exam and contraceptive prescription. All of our services are strictly confidential.

What about confidentiality? Who has access to my health records?
See Privacy Policy.

What if I need to see a specialist?
The Health Service has an active specialist referral list but you should be seen by a Health Service physician or nurse practitioner first. Our referral network includes such area specialists as dermatologists, psychologists, endocrinololgists, allergists, orthopedic specialists and dentists.

How do I access transportation to off campus medical appointments?
Transportation resources are available on our website. Students are responsible for transportation costs associated with their healthcare.

What if it's an urgent problem?
It's best to call the Health Service first at  508-793-7467 and talk to a nurse to determine if the symptoms require immediate attention. If you need help right away, we will arrange to see you as soon as possible.

What if it's an emergency?
If there is profuse bleeding, loss of consciousness, serious burns, difficulty breathing or some other potentially serious problem someone should:

On Campus

  1. Call campus police at  508-793-7575.
  2. Give your name, location and nature of the emergency.
  3. Post someone outside the building to direct those responding. The campus police will arrange transportation to the nearest hospital.

Off Campus

  1. Call 911. Give your name, location and nature of the emergency, and request an ambulance. You will be transported by ambulance to the nearest hospital.
  2. Call the Health Service at  508-793-7467 as soon as possible so that we may arrange follow-up care.

What happens if I'm sick on the weekend or after 5 p.m.?
After hours and weekend phone advice is provided through Hahnemann Family Health Center. If you have a non-emergency health problem that cannot wait until the Health Center reopens, you should calll Hahnemann Family Health Center's Answering Service at 508-334-8830.  Identify yourself as a Clark student and leave your name and telephone number with the answering service and the on-call physician will return your calll in approximately one hour.  The physician will ask you some questions and advise a plan of care. If you are referred for medical evaluation at an urgent care center or emergency room, you (or your medical insurance) are responsible for payment.

Alternatively, you may decide to go directly to an urgent care center. Please check to make sure your insurance is accepted before you choose which one.

How do I get to an urgent care center or the hospital?
For emergency transport, please see above. For transport due to a non-emergency issue, you can arrange a ride through a friend, taxi, or Uber/Lyft.

I know there are many hospitals in Worcester. Can I go to any one of them?
Our Health Service is staffed by UMass Memorial Health Care employees. While you can go to any hospital in the area, we recommend UMass Memorial Health Care to guarantee good continuity of care.

Can I get a medical excuse from the Health Service for missed classes?
Only if you need to be hospitalized. However, if you are petitioning the College Board for an incomplete due to an illness, you can give the Health Service written permission to forward information about your illness to the board.

Who can use the Health Service?
All matriculated undergraduate students can use the Clark Health Service. Graduate students use the Health Service on a fee for service basis. Under the fee for service arrangement, students will be billed for each office visit.

Do I need health insurance?
Yes. All full-time undergraduate and graduate students must carry adequate health insurance. Information about the Clark plan is available at If you are not covered under this plan, be sure to know what health insurance you do have and how to obtain a claim form if required. Please make sure you carry your health insurance membership card with you.

What do I need to know about Health Insurance?
Health Insurance is required for all college students. It is your responsibility to know what your insurance will or will not cover. If you are unsure of your coverage, please call the number on the back of your insurance card. You are responsible for, and will be billed for, services that are not covered by your insurance. You should check your Clark mailbox and forward your mail over breaks in order to avoid outstanding bills going to collection.

How can I avoid the most common Health Insurance Reimbursement issues when I am deciding whether or not to waive the Clark health insurance plan?
Health Insurance is complicated.  Be proactive.  Before choosing to waive the Clark insurance plan, please confirm that your health insurance plan covers you locally here in Worcester.  Your insurance plan must provide coverage including, but not limited to, ambulance transportation, routine preventative care, episodic care for illness/injuries, coverage for lab work and radiology services,specialty referrals, office procedures, outpatient visits, ER visits, hospital admissions, mental health visits, and coverage for prescriptions.  Please be sure to research In Network versus Out Of Network coverage, Preferred Providers, pre-authorization for CT's and MRI's, deductibles and any requirements for referral from your doctor at home in order to minimize your out of pocket expenses.  You should also know if your insurance requires that you use a certain laboratory for reimbursement.  Health Services uses Quest Laboratory and UMass Memorial radiology services.  Should your insurance require you to use Lab Corp, you will need to arrange transportation to the nearest location.

Emergency Telephone Numbers:

  • Campus Police: 508-793-7575
  • Clark University Health Service:  508-793-7467
  • Hahnemann Family Health Center:  508-334-8830
  • Worcester Emergency: 911
  • Mental Health Resource Line:  508-334-2551
  • Campus Counseling:  508-793-7678

Where is the Health Service located?
Clark University Health Service (view a campus map)
501 Park Avenue
Worcester, MA 01610
(508) 793-7467